The first edition of the Lukenya university Marathon/ Tree Planting Event was conducted on the 26th
March 2023. This event’s purpose was to address climate change issues and also persistent drought in
the country. More than 300 athletes/ runners graced this occasion. This initiative also aligns with the
Government’s intentions to plant 15 billion trees.
The theme this year was ‘ Running for A Greener Future ‘
Lukenya University is a fully chartered, Non-profit institution located in rural Makueni County at Mtito
Andei next to Tsavo East National Park.
The University launched an initiative to plant 1 Million trees seedlings in the next 5 years in Mtito/
Kibwezi constituency area. Tree Planting in ASAL areas represents one of the ways to mitigate climate
change and improve resilience. Lukenya University aims to plant 1 Million dry land – indigenous trees
that are well adapted to the Makueni climate and weather patterns. To achieve this Lukenya University
are working closely with the Kenya Forestry Research Institute. The goal here is to plant 200,000
indigenous trees in 2023 alone. This Lukenya University initiative to plant 1 Million trees in 5 years
resonates with the theme of COP 27 summit held in Sharm -el- Sheikh . As a consequence of the summit,
important milestones towards addressing climate change by pioneering green zones in MENA region,
launching it 2050 climate change strategy and providing updated target for emissions reduction by 2030
have been achieved.
During the Lukenya University marathon/ 1 Million trees Planting initiative these were the desired
- The community was well sensitized on the importance of different trees to the environment and
- It is clear that there’s an importance to educate the community on the best tree species that
perform well in the arid and semi-arid areas.
- Lukenya University desires to restore depleted and lost habitants for various species since it is
situated near several national parks. In particular the Tsavo Ecosystem and Chulu Hills.
- Another objective for this initiative is to achieve healthier soils and natural humidity control in
- This initiative strives to improve the livelihoods of surrounding communities by creating job
opportunities. This is done through the establishment of seedlings nurseries and tree planting
which will definitely generate job opportunities.
- Lukenya University through this initiative intends to preserve the seasonal rivers catchment
areas and develop riverine woodlands.
- Another intention is to improve the availability of fruits and their consumption by the local